Saturday, July 9, 2011

Perfectly Peachy

When I find in season fruits I tend to obsess. I can't just buy one perfectly-ripe-oh-so-juicy-peach. I need to buy this goodness by the pound. Once I get home and I realize I've bought far too much for one person, I start looking through my actual or virtual recipe books. I stumbled upon a food blog through Food Gawker (one of my favorite websites). I found a wonderful recipe for Peaches and Cream Buckle Bars. I never made the recipe before, but I knew it would be good judging by the ingredients and yummy photos! The bars are trying to hide from me at the moment (I plan to take them to Hospitality House later tonight or tomorrow...if there are any left!). I highly recommend this recipe!

Peaches and Cream Buckle Bars (Courtesy of Slice of Feist Blog)

Ingredients

Batter
1 Cup room temp. Unsalted Butter (I used salted butter and it was fine, just leave out the pinch of salt!)
2 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 tsps Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Almond Extract
4 eggs
3 Cups Flour
A Pinch of Salt
1/4 tsp Cinnamon

Peach Mixture
3 Cups Sliced and roughly chopped Ripe Peaches
1/4 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ginger
Splash of Vanilla

Creamy Dreamy Glaze
1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
3 tbsps Cream (I used much more than this!)
1 tbsp Vanilla Extract

We're ready to get peachy!
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish.

Beat your butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Mix in one egg at a time, scraping down the sides of your mixing bowl in between. Add your extracts. Slowly mix in your flour, salt and cinnamon.

Butter and Sugar. You think that would be enough to make a recipe!

 
With the four eggs whipped in, the batter is coming together!

In a separate bowl combine your peaches, brown sugar, spices and vanilla.

How great are these peaches?! I know how to make them better...

...throw in some brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and a splash of vanilla!

Pour 3/4 of your batter into the baking dish. Next, evenly distribute the peach mixture on top.


The batter is sad and needs some friends...

...sooo much happier! One more thing...

...NOW we're talking!

Drop the rest of the batter on top, in little plops here and there…similar to a cobbler (it should look like the masterpiece above, hehe)

Pop the buckle in the oven for about 40-50 minutes or until golden around the edges and slightly firm to the touch (I did 45 minutes and it came out great!)

Yes, this looks divine. But I know adding icing is always a good idea!

Once the buckle is cooked, let it cool down mostly before proceeding with the glaze.

For the Glaze, mix the 3 ingredients together..if you feel that it should be runnier, add some more cream. Now take a spoon and generously pour the glaze in long strokes. Try to not put the spoon directly into your mouth. Focus on the buckle!

You're probably wondering...does it taste as good as it looks? The answer is YES!
Cut out a square, pour a glass of milk (in a frozen glass, of course) and try not to eat the whole thing!

Yep. This is happening.
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment