Sunday, July 3, 2011

How do you make crumb cake patriotic? Add blueberries!

Happy Fourth of July Weekend everyone! I felt like baking something super yummy today. I have a wonderful crumb cake recipe - the king of crumb cakes. Normally when you say something is "really crummy" that is a bad thing. I think when cake is really "crumby" is a GREAT thing! I know that my blog title has "made from scratch" in it, so it is a bit hypocritical to use cake mix from a box (ahhhh!!) as the base for my cake. This is my favorite recipe, so you can judge, but trust me, you will enjoy!

Ingredients:
Cake:
1 Pkg Duncan Hines Butter Recipe Cake Mix
2/3 cup oil
4 eggs slightly beaten
2/3 cup milk

Crumbs:
3 sticks butter
4 cups flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

What is more American than Duncan Hines cake mix?
Mix cake mix and the rest of the cake ingredients.

This is before 4 minutes of tough love...

...this is after. Whipped into shape!

Don't forget to fold the blueberries into the batter. They are sensitive, so be gentle!

Pour the cake batter into a 18 x 12 x 1 pan or two 11 5/8 x 9 1/s pans.
DO NOT GREASE PAN(S)!!
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes

Now, the important part...

THE CRUMBS!!!!!! (Did I mention I love crumb cake?)
Mix dry ingredients - melt butter slightly (I usually do this on the stove), add vanilla to it and pour over dry ingredients.
Mix with a fork  Do NOT over mix or crumbs will get too small. This is critical! The crumbs need to look more like boulders than crumbs.

Don't you wish you could be in my kitchen? :)
Spread crumbs over cooked cake by hand (make sure the cake is completely invisible, like my beautiful specimens above!)
Try not to put the crumbs in your mouth. They belong on the cake!

Put back in oven and cook approximately 10 minutes longer.

Watch to see that it doesn't brown too fast. Cool...sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Note: You likely won't be able to let this completely cool.

This recipe freezes well.  Will keep 3 days covered with foil, but I doubt it will last that long!

My family tends to DOUBLE the crumb recipe because that the ratio should really be 2 parts crumbs to 1 part cake!

Happy Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment